Phoenix – Belgravia, London
JWK Electrical have been engaged in the bespoke Phoenix Project located at 6 & 7 Grosvenor Place, Westminster adjacent to Hyde Park Corner. The buildings built between 1867-1869 to designs by Thomas Cundy III are Grade II listed. 6 Grosvenor Place was the home of Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman, former Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Originally built as two separate grand townhouses in the French Renaissance style, the two buildings were combined into a single property, including the mews building to Pembroke Street (now Headfort Place), by 1919. Between 1919-1954 the property was used as a private member’s club (for women only), the building was subsequently converted to office use by The Gulf Oil Company. Radical modifications undertaken in 1954 and 1973 caused the loss of much of the original neo-classical interiors and features; extensive alterations, additions and extensions were also carried out to the rear and roof of the building. The building was unoccupied when taken over, and much of the internal spaces are currently in a state of considerable disrepair.
The design proposals support bringing the building back into long term active use as a luxury private member’s club (for all gender classes) including office accommodation on the 2nd and 3rd floors and a public Cafe facing Halkin Street. The project encompasses a full programme of repairs and refurbishment of the surviving historic fabric both externally and internally and will be complete in Summer 2022.
Works started for JWK Electrical in April 2021. We have been engaged by Vascroft Contractors whom we have worked with for 20+ years, on a supply and install delivery.